The Bible tells us that Heaven is absolutely a free gift. It is unmerited, undeserved, and cannot be worked for. Romans 6:23 reads: “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” “Gift of God” - Is that not amazing? How is that possible?
1. The Bible teaches us that man (mankind), all of us, has sinned, that there is none of us that are good enough to get to Heaven, because God’s standard is perfection. Jesus Himself said that we would have to be perfect to get into Heaven. “Be ye therefore perfect, even as our Father which is in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48) “For all have sinned, and some short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:2)
2. Man cannot save himself. “For by grace are ye saved through faith…not of works lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)
3. God is loving and merciful, and at the same time, he is holy and just. God had to punish sin. If He is holy and just, He must punish us. What is the answer to this dilemma? God in His infinite love and wisdom provided a solution. He sent His Son Jesus Christ to solve this problem for man. Who is Jesus? He is the perfect Son of God. He is God that came in the flesh. The gospel of John tells us “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God , and the Word was God. (v. 1) “He was in the world, and the world was made by him and the world knew him not.” (v. 10) “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.” (v. 14)
4. Why did He have to come? The entire Bible is about one great transaction. Jesus paid for my sin. The book of Isaiah pictures Christ fulfilling the mission that was His and that was to be our substitute. He died in our place. Isaiah 53:5 states that God poured all His wrath on His own Son. Jesus Christ, in our place, as our substitute, paid the penalty for our sin.
5. How do I receive this gift? I receive it by faith in Jesus Christ. “For by grace are ye saved through faith.” (Ephesians 2:8) Faith is the key that opens the door to Heaven. Faith then is trusting Jesus alone for our salvation. Simply ask Jesus Christ to come into your heart and life to be your Savior. Just pray and tell Him that you are a sinner and that you believe that He died in your place. Receive this gift of eternal life.
Faith Baptist Church•3615 S 28th Street, La Crosse, WI, 54601•Phone 608-788-1165•Fax 608-788-1176