Over sixty years have passed since a home Bible study at 2211 Hoeschler Drive grew to fifteen families that in April, 1959, began to worship together under the leadership of Pastor Leland Connors at the old Strand Theater. The name aptly chosen for the church was Faith Baptist Church. The members recognized the need for permanent and adequate facilities and purchased the present location on South Twenty-Eight Street. Many sacrifices were made by dedicated people to see that a building was built. On April 9, 1961, the first services were held in the completed basement. There have been four phases of construction to complete the building as it now exists. Additional classrooms and the gymnasium were completed in 1985. In 1965, a parsonage was built on Mesa Grande Place east of the church building. In 1973, Faith Christian School was established to provide children an education based on the principles of God’s Word. The name was changed to Faith Baptist School in 1995. In 1987, Faith became actively involved in a ministry to the Hmong community. God richly blessed this endeavor; they have since started their own church.
Over the years, these men have served the Lord as pastor: Leland Connors (1959), Eldon Pals (1959-1963), Richard Cagle (1964-1971), Max Weniger (1971-1977), David Cummins (1977-1981), Philip Mikkelson (1981-1986), C. Powers Payton (1986-1988), Delbert Rogers (1989-1992), Leon Leeds (interim 1992-1993), and Stephen Terpstra (1993-presently). God has provided a number of men who have served alongside as assistants.
Faith Baptist Church•3615 S 28th Street, La Crosse, WI, 54601•Phone 608-788-1165•Fax 608-788-1176